Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious means, well, basically nothing.
Immortalized by the musical theatrical Marry Poppins in 1964, this tongue twisting, mind rattling word is often used to pretend to say something wise even though all that is uttered is gibberish potpourri.

Friday, October 21, 2011

The Pune side of the Pastures

Well, this is purely extempore.


On the last working day before we close for the Diwali break here in office, with nothing motivating enough to do, and with an internet server down, thoughts lead me to write ‘this’. Oh! What timing, here comes the morning dose of (wake-me-up) tea. Great, we can move forward on this.

Back in Summer of 2011, May, when college got over, the sinking feeling was imminent. No more of the callous carefree attitude to all that I was a part of. But, since this fact had been drilled well into me, overcoming it was not that difficult after the first week. More-so, because this was the longest time I had to spend at home with mom, dad and Deepu in the past 4 years and for don’t know how many years in the future. Sitting at home and involving myself in the little things that made home, ‘home’ had been quite an experience, although the fact that Mission Pune was round the corner kept me from getting too complacent. I would have to admit, getting out of the cocoon at home and coming down to Pune was something I had been dearly looking forward to. Having no idea of what to expect and what not to, it was more like stepping into the dark; knowing that a lot can go wrong, and a few things should have to go right.

It began on the morning of 7th August. I call it ‘Al Pune’.

You know, the feeling of entering a new city, with a new job, with absolutely not even a known stranger to look forward to, with no baggage of people from the ‘old’ world and with the spirit to explore all that one can be involved in; is overwhelming and at the same time goose-bump material. And since, I had pushed myself into and pulled myself out (with new friends, new places explored and new experience) of similar situations, Al Pune definitely looked bright in prospect.

Flying out from the land of butter chicken and lassi into the land of vada pao and, well, butter chicken was how we got started (Geesh! Food obsession) And hands down; I have always claimed this ever since I got here, the weather is a sure super hit in this part of the world. Though I didn’t get to experience the place during the first week, being lavishly spoilt at the Sayaji with an entire new lot of freshers kept the initial nerves and excitement under control. The company On-Boarding session had been as interestingly sleepy as the college lectures got. But getting known to new people everyday and building rapports was the cool part. Every subsequent training session had always had the same genre about them; interestingly sleepy, new introductions, rapport building with existing colleagues and friends.

Work culture has been unbelievably relaxed and not that stressing; kind of an anti-climax of what I had been looking forward to. Though, yeah! Post Diwali break I know what to expect. In college it was always, you study, you get yours marks, you clear the cut off for the companies, you clear the test, you clear the GD, you clear the PI, get placed and then give-a-shit. But in the Corp. its an entirely different ball game. Its not a big deal whether or not you know how to speak good and fluent English, your seniors don’t expect you to address them as a Sir or a Madam, its okay if you stand up on your desk and ask your neighbor out for a stroll. I mean, the entire thing of corporate ‘this’ and corporate ‘that’ is kind of blown out of proportion (the voice at the back of my head sticks out the pacifier saying; ‘at least for now’).

Pune, as a place is genuinely worth exploring and indulging. I mean, it has its share of micro mini’s, hot long legs, sinking cleavages, crazy rush, maddening traffic sense, open roads, scenic hills, pulsating Lamborghini’s, simplistic Luna’s, rustic loons and yeah, genuinely beautiful girls. It gives you a feel of Delhi (no offence please; my Marathi brethren), minus of-course the Metro, the obvious Punjabi presence and the insecurity. Unlike what I have grown up on, Pune does really badly miss out on a decent public transport system within the city. For a Tier I city, this is a big turn down. I have mentioned the weather, and I should mention the traffic sense, no hidden fact, it sucks! Delhi, Ludhiana, Surat all have been unkind altogether; but nothing explains what is wrong with people when they get their ass behind the wheel or the handle. Though, in the same breath I would also have to admit, Marathi’s are kind people, genuinely (or it could be a case that I picked up the kind ones in sample size; whatever, I'll still buy the fact). Like, a shopkeeper would take time out to tell you from where to catch a bus to your destination, where to change lines, how much would the ticket cost; and if you push him further, he’ll also ask an auto driver to drop you to the place you want to and insist to pay by the meter.

From a foodie perspective, I have been made to believe that Pune is paradise, though yet to confirm it. Generally though, I’d buy that fact from whatever little I have seen around. The city has style, standard, oomph effect – and thus has to have a good foodie paradise to support all this. Again, the Delhi comparison! On a 100km radius from the city, Google baba (plus MadB, Gulabo, Mondu, Avinash and other people in office) claims that there are interesting places for excursions, trekking, long drives and weekend outings. From what I have seen, the Western Ghats have their own scenic beauty, very distinctive from the foothills of the Himalaya’s back home. Maybe it’s because of the time of the year I got to witness all of it, but the green layered hills and cloud capped peaks have been worth every ounce of their beauty depicted in all the guide books and travelogues I have come across.

The people with whom I have spent these three months have made Al Pune all-the-more worth looking-forward-to after the Diwali vacation. Siddie is a very balanced flat mate, STD is the mazze lene aur dilane wala flat mate, Munni is our silent man from the south land, Vandy is among the interestingly weirdest people I have ever come across, Gulabo has got me to learn more about myself, MadB deserves all credit for reviving my blogging habit and helping me around Pune, Phooly keeps me on my toes and Jalebi has the best “whaaaat!!??” ever! Sagar, Vijay, Manish have been people to look forward to meeting and chill during and after office hours.

Well, with that, that’s an hour and a half eaten away. The wake-me-up tea has become ice tea. Crap! Still no net connectivity. Well, I’d have to hijack Vijay to load this then. Thanks in advance dude.

So long till after the Diwali vacations!! Peace and happiness to one and all!!

PS. 'Interestingly Sleepy" is not a derogatory term.

1 comment:

  1. JD Baba! My broadband got restored today, finally!

    First up - Good post. And I must say, rarely do Puneites get a good review. Generations of Maharashtrians have had bones to pick with Puneri people. But then again, you might really have picked the better ones :-)

    I like the concise way in which you've done this post. And, if you'll allow me to say so, this post is such a huge improvement from your initial posts that I had read. I'll surely read the intermediate posts too, the ones I missed out due to the no broadband and no blogging in office policy of mine.

    Kudos! And Happy Diwali to you and your family :-)

    ReplyDelete

Carry On!